About the Project
ECCPASA has taken the lead in a unique program intended to give information to adults to dissuade them from providing alcohol to minors: Project Sticker Shock. Working closely with WNY United Against Alcohol Abuse and the Erie County Sheriff’s Department, The Prevention Council provides stickers, posters and other media warning messages about the penalties for furnishing alcohol to minors. These stickers are then placed on all multi-packs of beer, wine coolers and other alcohol products that might appeal to underage drinkers.
Traditionally most prevention messages are geared to young people even though many cases involve an adult purchasing the alcohol. Project Sticker Shock focuses on adults and involves youth in its implementation.
- Youth participating in Project Sticker Shock will pair with an adult and meet with store managers to solicit their support for the program.
- Once on board, a schedule will be set and youth and adults will return to place stickers on the alcohol products.
- As they work side by side with adults on this project, participating youths realize they are valued in their community.
- This effort represents a partnership between youth, businesses, concerned parents and community members, prevention professionals and law enforcement.
The goals of Project Sticker Shock are as follows:
- To get the word out about the ramifications of providing alcohol to minors
- To provide media education during critical times, such as prom/graduation time, and the holiday season, each year
- To educate the community about current laws in regards to illegal purchase and hosting of alcohol parties for underage youth
- To partner with youth, adults and community members to strengthen the message that UNDERAGE DRINKING IS NOT a MINOR PROBLEM!